Touring

A brief insight into Peter Creed's world, as he tours the planet playing the sport he loves, sampling the various cultures and meeting the people who become his social network.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Madison, Wisconsin... Super Satelite!


Madison arrived.

After the two-hour drive and a slight detour due to lack of directions. We finally arrived, checked out the club, met and greeted all the members, players and Damon Bourne (organiser). The club is a small business unit, which has been done out wonderfully. The courts are brand new ASB, and look perfect to the eye. Damon has done a great job in both organising the event, building the venue and promoting squash in the area. 


Anyways, first match I drew my good friend Jonas Knigge Laursen, which was unfortunate for one of us. After the warm-up I knew that the courts suited my game more than his, so I looked to take full advantage of this. I started well, hit good length and forced Jonas to pursue his best shots from the most difficult positions. I had some good spells and the start of each game, and created enough of a space in the points to feel confident in my win and performance. Jonas has great shots, but with a slow court, I was able to pick up the nicks and force him to twist and turn to a slow death. I came home 3-0 with the win (11-5 11-5 11-6)

We retired to the pub for some food and a couple of games of pool. Jonas and I took on Lyall Paterson and Fernando Lopez, from the rest of the world and continued in winning ways.  I guess they don’t have pool tables in Mexico, and Lopez seemed to foul more times than he potted. Anyways, early night sleep in preparation for my quarterfinal against Eddie Charlton of England.

Morning hit, warmed up and began preparing. I felt average, not good, but not bad. Went through my routine warm up and got ready for my match physically and mentally. I struggled to make a good impression in the match, and constantly made bad starts to each game. I left myself too much to recover and failed to perform. For whatever reason, I had lost my consistency and began to grow in frustration. I went down 3-0 ( 11-6 11-6 11-7). I sat, reflected and tried to think of the things I did right and wrong. I learn allot from losing, more than when I was young. Experience comes from loses, and as much I as I hate losing, i was beginning to understand why...

1 comment:

  1. Always a pleasure to have you Pete. Come back next year!

    Oh, we have Anderson Armourcoat Plaster courts--not ASB. Minor detail, but important. To me, at least...

    ReplyDelete