Touring

A brief insight into Peter Creed's world, as he tours the planet playing the sport he loves, sampling the various cultures and meeting the people who become his social network.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

8 Week Tour of North America begins....


Well my travels on the PSA Tour (Professional Squash Association)  now expanded to the North America, and what a great continent it is. From past memories, I have had only positive experiences, fun occasions and plenty of success...

This continent is not only the most friendly I've visiting during my Professional Squash Career, but also the easiest place to spend extended periods of time, away from home. I mean I love visiting new cultures, attempting to speak foreign languages and trying local foods, but when your on your own, long journeys, lack of communication and hotels are sometimes daunting.  This is why the billeting (members of the squash club allow you to stay at theirs during the tournament) is so appealing, as you get to meet new people, costs are kept to a minimum and you get a better feel for the city, state and country. 

My trip consisted of an 8 weeks stint around the east coast of America. I would play two tournaments in Canada, before flying into U.S.A to play a further 4 - 5 competitions. The prize money varied between $6000 - $10000 dollars..  With a breakdown, depending on the round you proceeded to, before failing to win.  I was slightly anxious, but very excited for the trip. I knew my preparation in the gym had been going really well until 7 days before departure. That was when i was hit by the dreaded illness, that seemed to knock me harder than first thought. I spent the next week, bed bound, unable to train or play.  In an attempt to regain full fitness, I knew staying off court, would be crucial to boost my immune system before flying. 

Well.. the flight seemed fine, three seats to myself and a 5 hour sleep out of the 7 boded me well for my jet-lag. How wrong was I?  First my bags didn't get to the states, and second was that the following morning my body hit rock bottom. I was effected by the traveling worse than ever. Fever struck, no energy and tooth ache. I took some medication, and the turn around in 24 hours was somewhat better than I thought possible.

I continued my search for my bags with air Canada, and for the next 6 days I was bag-less, with only a one piece jumpsuit to my rescue. I needed to buy clothes, a tooth brush, vitamins, and many other essentials, which included star sport boxers from Walmart that later were binned due to poor performance. 4 phone calls a day, and I was told, "sorry sir we are unable to locate your bag, please can you give us more time" how my anger grew i tell thee. On to Niagara for my first tournament, with lent squash kit, racket (singular), socks, head bands and newly purchased casual clothing.  Not the best start to my trip I thought!? 

No comments:

Post a Comment